The Titanfall 2 Open Multiplayer Tech Test is now available for download. If all the news from Gamescom 2016 as well as videos on YouTube and Twitch, have gotten you at least somewhat curious, then get to downloading.
Keep in mind that the tech test is only for the Xbox One and PlayStation 4, so if you’re looking for it on the PC, then you’re out of luck. The tech test will officially start at 8AM PT / 11AM ET (North America) today and will run until August 21, 2016. So while you can’t play it at the time of this article, you can get a head start and get it pre-loaded. It’s like going to be a popular download for this weekend and those hamsters can only go for so long.
You can either download the tech test via your Xbox One or PlayStation, or you can head on over to the links below and queue a download via a browser.
Here’s everything that’s included in this first test.
- Bounty Hunt (5v5): A brand new mode that pits Pilots and their teammates against an opposing team as well as the Remnant Fleet. Earn bonuses by killing grunts and enemies, but make sure and deposit all your points at the bank between waves without getting killed.
- Pilots vs. Pilots (8v8): Players can be the best Pilot on the Frontier and put their combat and mobility skills to the ultimate test in this classic 8 vs 8 Pilots only mode.
- Amped Hardpoint (6v6–second weekend only): A new twist on Hardpoint Domination from the original game; now defending a Hardpoint will let you amp it, giving your team double score. Team work is the key to securing victory.
- Boomtown: A secret underground IMC facility where the latest in R&D is put to the test. In this facility, Pilots can use the many peaked roofs to use as cover against combatants below. With tight lanes through the middle, Titans can also be easily ambushed.
- Homestead: The IMC have claimed Imminent Domain on a small commune’s plot of land. With a series of raised, rocky plateaus and a river running down the middle, Pilots are mostly safe from Titans among the rocks and trees but they also can duck into the caves and building when needed. However, the Titans control the large rolling fields.
- Forward Base Koda (second weekend only): Militia forces have taken over an IMC substation and set up a forward operating base. Pilots can find safety from Titans in the hallways and chambers of the main building, while Titans can walk over the roof to get a better view of the action.
Now if you’re wondering why there isn’t a test available for the PC, like hundreds of others asking the same thing, this was basically phrased as Respawn not ready to work on the PC version yet.
Two big issues from a development standpoint: hardware variety & “min spec” optimization. We’re still making a lot of tweaks and changes to the renderer, the game, and effects so we haven’t run the game through the hardware compatibility lab yet to detect and handle a large variety of hardware – video cards, CPUs etc. Quite frankly, we aren’t ready to deal with that yet, we are still making the game better. We also haven’t done enough work to fully support our ‘Min Spec’ on PC yet. So, currently the PC game isn’t as easy to throw out for testing as the console is, because of the additional variables and configurations that we need to support. Also, because the single player story has some wonderful secrets that we really want to preserve for launch, we also have to worry about leaks. Our wonderfully curious PC players have proven in the past that they will dig out anything they can, and there’s a risk that they could spoil some of our single player.
We realize this is a big disappointment for our PC fans, but we feel this allows us to concentrate on the real purpose of the tech test and focus on the server stability and scalability. Rest assured we’re confident in our ability to deliver a great PC experience for launch. We appreciate your understanding, and we look forward to seeing everyone on The Frontier this October.
– – Vince Zampella Founder and CEO Respawn Entertainment
Titanfall 2 launches for the PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC on October 28, 2016. Get ready for Titanfall!