We’re looking for writers to bolster our ranks! Are you that person?
If you enjoy writing and sharing your thoughts and opinions with the world, then we may have a job for you!
Who Are We?
The Outerhaven was originally launched back in 2011 by a bunch of friends who just wanted to record podcasts and talk about the video game scene. Since that time, we have grown into the organization that we are today. We pride ourselves on providing entertaining podcasts, interesting features like The Anime Pulse and bringing in our readers the latest geek culture related content on the web. We are an organization where budding writers and people interested in written journalism can hone their skills while writing about what they love in a professional yet friendly environment.
Why are we looking for help?
Honestly? We love what we do but we’re finding out that our ragtag team of commandos needs some backup from time to time. This is where you come in! You would be jumping onto a fire-team with plenty of experience, a huge passion for what we do and more importantly would love to do more than what we’re doing now. So what do you say? Want to join a successful, built from the ground up community and kick some butt?
What’s in it for you?
- A portfolio of your work that you can use and share on any website you like. It’s your work and we want to help you shine!
- Your very own personalized email address (@theouterhaven.net). How cool is that?
- Access to your very own private/public online storage.
- Access to events such as New York Comic Con, San Diego Comic-Con, Dragon Con, E3, IndieCade, PAX and much more. But you have to put in the work for these events!
- Access to review copies and screenings/screeners as we acquire them. You get to keep the review copies!
- The chance to work with like-minded individuals, to form new bonds with people who enjoy writing about and discussing all things geek culture, such as video games, comics, anime, toys, and movies.
What are we looking for?
*All applicants must be 18 or older to apply. Please note that all positions are volunteer-only! *
Currently Open Positions:
(No longer accepting applications) Video Game News Reporter/Reviewer: Love video games? Do you like talking about them? Does the thought about reviewing them sound like a job that was made just for you? Well, we have a spot for you as a Video Game News Reporter and Reviewer. As a reporter, You’d be responsible for helping us with daily video game news. While our reviewers will be on the front lines, helping with an endless number of video games.
E-Sports Reporter: Do you love eSports? Does the very mention of Street Fighter, Marvel vs Capcom, Killer Instinct, Counterstrike, League of Legends or Dota 2 make your eyes widen and cause your heart to beat heavily? Would you love to write about that eSports community? Well, we’d love to have you!
Film/Television Writer: Are you an avid watcher of television and film? Do you keep up with the trends? Is the Walking Dead a weekly tradition? Come join our growing Film and TV department. As a member of the Film and TV department, you’ll be tasked with keeping up with the latest news on television programs and film news in the United States, as well as movie reviews and season recaps of the shows you enjoy watching.
(No longer accepting applications) Video Gaming Streamer/Content Creator: Do you enjoy playing video games? Do you have an engaging personality? Is creating content a thing you enjoy doing? Join us as The Outerhaven Productions’ official YouTube streamer. You’ll be responsible for maintaining a schedule of at least 2 hours, 3 times per week streaming as the face of the Outerhaven Productions. You won’t be alone, as you’ll have the help and support of some of the other content creators that are currently on the site. Must have a suitable computer and a capture device.
Anime News Reporter/Reviewer: If you love anime and want to express your opinions, then join us here at The Outerhaven. We are looking for someone to post meaningful anime news as well as provide first reactions/reviews at the beginning and end of each anime season. You would also be responsible for posting news/reviews of anime-related geek culture such as conventions, cosplay, etc.
- A minimum requirement of 1 per day/5 or more posts a week, which can be news, opinion pieces or reviews. Video producers you will be required to supply at least 2 videos a month. E-sport reporters will need to keep up with current ongoings in the scene and will have different requirements.
- Expanding coverage on current and upcoming video games (all platforms), anime news and reviews, gaming and tech hardware, film and television news/reviews, as well as toy news and reviews.
Candidates should have:
- Excellent communication skills, including writing, editing, excellent interpersonal skills with high level of professionalism. Communication is key and you must be willing to stay in contact with your team.
- Experience with WordPress, but not required. We’ll train you!
- A willingness to learn from, and in turn, teach what you have learned to others.
- You must love what you do. This is important. If you’re not passionate about doing this type of work or hobby, it will show in your work.
All candidates would report to the management team!
If you’re interested, please submit two (2) samples of your previous work (articles and/or videos) and a short summary on why you’d like to join up with us! If you don’t have any samples, please provide one (1) ORIGINAL written piece related to the position you are applying for. For potential YouTube Gaming Streamers/Content Creators, please provide a link to a recent stream or video that you have done in the last 60 days.