We’re looking for writers to bolster our ranks! Are you that person?
If you enjoy writing and sharing your thoughts and opinions with the world, then we may have a job for you!
Who Are We?
The Outerhaven was originally launched back in 2011 by a bunch of friends who just wanted to record podcasts and talk about the video games scene. Since then, we have grown into the organization that we are today. We pride ourselves with podcasts entertaining podcasts, interesting features like The Anime Pulse column and in bringing our readers the latest video game related content on the web. We typically average anywhere between 40,000 – 60,000 unique visitors / 90,000 – 150,000 page views per month. However, we know we can do better and we’re hoping with your help that we’ll surpass our previous stats.
Why are we looking for help?
Honestly? We love what we do but we’re finding out that our rag tag team of commando’s needs some backup from time to time. This is where you come in! You would be jumping onto a fire-team with plenty of experience, a huge passion for what we do and more importantly would love to do more than what we’re doing now. So what do you say? Want to join a successful, built from the ground up community and kick some butt?
What’s in it for you?
- A portfolio of your work that you can use and share on any website you like. It’s your work and we want to help you shine!
- Your very own personalized email address (@theouterhaven.net). How cool is that?
- Access to your very own private/public online storage.
- Access to events such as New York Comic Con, IndieCade, PAX East, New Jersey Collectors Con and much more, but you have to put in the work for these events!
- Access to review samples as we acquire them.
- The chance to work with like-minded individuals, to form new bonds with people who enjoy writing about and discussing all things related to geek culture, such as video games, comics, anime, toys and movies.
What are we looking for?
*All applicants must be 18 or older to apply. Please note that all positions are volunteer-only, though there may be the opportunity for perks or bonuses later down the road.*
Full and no longer hiring: Gaming News Reporter: Ah, the lifeblood of The Outerhaven. We’re all passionate gamers here, regardless of platform. But we don’t always have time to report on everything that goes on in the gaming world. This is where you come in. You’d be responsible for posting 1-2 posts a day or up to 6 or more a week about anything in the gaming world. But it has to be on point and it has to be respectful.
Accepting Applications! E-Sports Reporter: Do you love eSports? Does the very mention of Street Fighter, Marvel vs Capcom, Killer Instinct, Counterstrike, League of Legends or Dota 2 make your eyes widen and cause your heart to beat heavily? Would you love to write about that eSports community? Well, we’d love to have you!
Full and no longer hiring: PlayStation Beat Writer/SonyCentric Host: You will be responsible for reporting on PlayStation-related news and topics, in addition to hosting, editing and uploading our weekly PlayStation podcast, SonyCentric.
Full and no longer hiring: Board/Tabletop/Card Gaming Reporter: Tabletop gaming and CCG gaming are seeing a resurgence in popularity. If you’re a fan of games like Settlers of Catan, Dungeons and Dragons, Hearthstone, Magic: the Gathering, Pokémon Trading Card Game, or other games like these, this position is for you.
- 2 a day / 5-6 or more posts a week, which can be news, opinion pieces or reviews, for video producers you will be required to supply at least 2 videos a month. E-sport reporters will need to keep up with current ongoings in the scene. Will have different requirements.
- Expanding coverage on current and upcoming video games (all platforms), anime news and reviews, gaming and tech hardware, toy news and reviews (Figmas, figuarts, busts, etc.)
Candidates should have:
- Excellent communication skills, including writing, editing, excellent interpersonal skills with high level of professionalism. Communication is key and you must be willing to stay in contact with your team.
- Experience with WordPress, but not required. We’ll train you!
- You must love what you do. This is important. If you’re not passionate about doing this type of work or hobby, it will show in your work.
All candidates would report to the management team!
If you’re interested, please submit two samples of your previous work (articles and/or videos) and a short summary on why you’d like to join up with us!