A little while ago, I reported on all of the accolades Your Name (Kimi no Na wa) had mustered up until that point. In that original post, the movie was expected to break the 20 billion yen mark and now, as of this current post, it has done so! Surely, I’m not going to make a post just to brag about that one accolade, though! Your Name has begun to open up in different markets and the success of this landmark film has continued to spread on an international basis!
So what else has it accomplished?
- After losing it’s number one spot in Japan to the live-action Death Note film, it returned to number one and has a total of 13 weeks at that position
- It opened in China, drawing the equivalent of $41 million USD and opened as the #1 movie in the country.
- It is #2 animated Japanese film of all-time, surpassing Hayao Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli’s Howl’s Moving Castle
- It is the #2 Japanese film of all-time
- It is the #5 movie in Japan in both foreign and domestic movies, of all-time!
- Your Name topped box offices in Thailand and Hong Kong
- The film is ranked as the #4 film in Singapore
- The Los Angeles Film Critics Association has granted Your Name the “Best Animated Film” award
- Nikkan Sports Newspaper has named Makoto Shinkai the Best Director for Your Name
- ..and of course, it has earned 20 billion yen or the equivalent to (roughly) $178 million USD in Japan alone.
FUNimation currently holds the license for North American screening and distribution. The film is currently playing in select U.S. theaters while a Bluray edition of the film is slated for an unknown time next year.
A review of a 480p DVD screening copy of the film can be found here.
After this amazing film has accomplished so much, one must wonder what else it can accomplish!