It’s been 35 years since a plumber called Mario walked away from his fight with a monkey called Donkey Kong and started going from castle to castle looking for Princess Peach and taking on the Turtle-Dragon King Bowser. In celebration of this milestone, Nintendo has released the Super Mario 35th Anniversary Nintendo Direct, which we have been covering since it happened and have many stories on already. The final thing announced was the 35th Anniversary Website, where you can keep up to date with this celebration of the man who goes “Wahoo!”, aka Mario.
The Super Mario 35th Anniversary website contains more of a hub of information and things to do with everything Mario related. From the main page, you will get an overview of everything that was announced at the recent Nintendo Direct, as well as a timeline of the Mario titles featured in the upcoming collections, a basic story-based history of all mainline Mario games, more news as things get announced, and the mission hub.
In addition to the informational content on the 35th Anniversary website, you can also access special Mario themed missions to unlock special rewards from Nintendo, these include things like keychains related to the Splatoon event, and a special edition pin set that is only available in the USA & Canada only (Greedy bastards). These missions are listed on the Super Mario 35 website and range from simple things like visiting the website, taking Mario themed quizzes and using things like the Mario Kart Online app that will mix in the special events on there to the missions.
- Super Mario Events: From now until March 2021, there are many events to mark the 35th anniversary of Super Mario Bros.
- From 4:00 pm AEST / 6:00 pm NZST on 9th September until 4:00 pm AEST / 6:00 pm NZST on 23rd September, Mario Kart Tour will have a Super Mario Kart Tour event, with special appearances by Mario (SNES) and Donkey Kong Jr. (SNES) from the original Super Mario Kart.
- A 35th anniversary-themed Ninji Speedrun course is coming to Super Mario Maker 2 in November.
- In November and December, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate will have an in-game online tournament using Super Mario series fighters, stages, and items.
- A Super Mario-themed Splatfest is coming to Splatoon 2 in January 2021. Physical Splatfest T-shirts will be available for purchase on the My Nintendo Store soon. The upcoming Splatfest asks the important question: Which Super Mario power-up do you prefer: supersize with a Super Mushroom or become invincible with a Super Star?
- In March of next year, Super Mario-themed furniture will be available in Animal Crossing: New Horizons.
- Super Mario Products: In addition to events, many different Super Mario-themed products are now available.
- Monopoly Super Mario Celebration from Hasbro is now available at retailers worldwide.
- The LEGO Nintendo Entertainment System set is now available exclusively at LEGO stores, with multiple LEGO Super Mario sets now available at retailers worldwide, including the Adventures with Mario Starter Course.
- Special edition Super Mario 35th Anniversary clothing, shoes, and other collectibles will be available from the Nintendo Store in New York, as well as other official Nintendo Stores worldwide very soon.
- Puma Shoes are releasing a Special Edition sneaker called the RS-Dreamer Super Mario 64 on September 4th, 2020… aka NOW!
- Black Milk Clothing is releasing a special series of clothing items themed around Super Mario. The items will be available on October 5th.
- Jakks Pacific Toys has released a talking Super Mario figure called It’s-A Me, Mario! Available now from all good toy stores.
- New Amiibo’s of Mario and Peach in their cat forms from Super Mario 3D World will be available in Feb, 2021.
Just like Nintendo, The Outerhaven will be celebrating Mario’s 35th anniversary too. We shall have articles based around the plumber man, ranging from history to best-of lists, to more news as it happens. Also keep an eye out during the events too, because you might just see some of The Ouerhaven staff participating in some of the online events too.