Imagine one day waking up suddenly pregnant. Imagine you’re one of 43 around the world to give birth to this suddenly-appearing child with powers. Pretty weird right? Well that’s just the start of it in Netflix’s latest comic book adaptation, The Umbrella Academy.
The original comic was written by former My Chemical Romance frontman Gerard Way and artist Gabriel Bá. The story follows seven (or really six) extraordinary kids who come back together after the death of their adopted father/leader The Monocle and the rise of a new threat. The trailer is full of style, insanity, and a killer wardrobe.
Here are the main characters that we see in this trailer:
- Tom Hopper as Luther, aka Spaceboy and Number 1. He has super-strength, and after a terrible accident during an expedition to Mars, his head had to be transplanted onto the body of a gorilla.
- David Castaneda as Diego, codenamed The Kraken or Number 2. He is sort of a fuse between Aquaman and Batman. He can hold his breath indefinitely, which gives him an advantage when in water, and is an expert knife thrower.
- Emmy Raver-Lampman as Allison, aka The Rumor as Number 3, who can alter reality by lying.
- Robert Sheehan as Klaus aka The Seance or Number 4, the most morbid character of the group. His powers, which manifest only when he’s barefoot, include levitation, telekinesis, and the ability to contant the dead. In the comics, Klaus is killed at one point but rejected from both Heaven and Hell.
- Aidan Gallagher (Nicky, Ricky, Dicky & Dawn) as Number Five, simply codenamed The Boy. He can effortlessly travel in time and does not age due to a temporal condition.
- Ellen Page plays Vanya aka the White Violin or Number 7 who is believed at first to have no powers but then turns out to be able to use massively destructive forces to hurt and kill people through the use of her violin.
You might be wondering where number 6 is, aka The Horror but it turns out that in the comics, that character is dead even before the show even starts. It also takes place in an alternate universe where Kennedy was never shot, so that will be interesting. What adventures does this group have in store? We’ll just have to see for ourselves this February.
The Umbrella Academy premieres on Netflix on February 15, 2019.