It wasn’t long ago that Disney announced that they are canceling the Infinity toy line and game production. Now they’ve sent out an email detailing the eventual closure of all of the Infinity game servers, as well as removing in-game purchases and support as well. Obviously, this puts a hamper on game-play as many of the features will be shut down or removed, crippling the game for many, across multiple platforms.
More information regarding the closure of the Infinity servers can be found here, however, we’ve provided a timeline on how the closure is to proceed. Ultimately, as of March 3, 2017, Disney Infinity will no longer have any online services, as all support and community features will be discontinued.
July 29, 2016
- No in-game purchases can be made within the PC, Steam version of Disney Infinity 2.0, iOS, Google Android, Amazon Android and Apple TV versions of the game as this feature has now been removed
- You can continue to make in-game purchases within the Steam version of Disney Infinity 3.0.
Sept. 30, 2016
- You will no longer be able to log in to play the PC, iOS, Google Android and Amazon Android versions of Disney Infinity, these will no longer be available on the respective app stores
- The Steam versions of Disney Infinity 2.0 & 3.0 will remain operational with the exception of all online services and community features as these will be discontinued
- Apple TV versions of Disney Infinity will be removed from the AppStore
- The Disney Infinity Community team will no longer be reviewing or approving any new Toy Boxes that are submitted to Disney for all console, mobile and PC versions of the game. However if you are playing on any console, Apple TV or Windows 8/10 versions of the game, you can continue to download your favorite Toy Boxes from the Community Content section until March 3, 2017
Jan. 3, 2017
- No in-game purchases can be made within the Windows 8/10 versions of the game as this feature will be removed
March 3, 2017
- Apple TV and Windows 8/10 versions will no longer be available, supported or playable
- All Disney Infinity online services and community features for all versions will be discontinued
My two cents. Sadly, while Disney Infinity was making money for Disney, I feel that the company got a tad too greedy and completely forgot that they weren’t the only company out there putting out electronic toys. Between Skylanders, LEGO Dimensions, and Amiibo’s, there was fierce competition in this field. And despite Infinity pulling in decent numbers, it just wasn’t enough for the House of Mouse. So rather than enjoy the income they were getting, they would rather kill the entire line-up and screw everyone who picked up the game and figures. For many people, this was a huge investment, including myself. I’ve owned just about ever Disney Infinity figurine and playset, dating back to Infinity 1.0. I said owned, as I’ve gotten rid of everything with the exception of a few figures that my children wanted to hold onto and that sweet Hulk Buster figurine.
To me, this was a slap in the face. Thanks for buying our stuff, but we aren’t making enough money to line our pockets, so we’re killing it. Thanks for your support, but you should have purchased more stuff.
To Infinity and Beyond, indeed……..