Funimation made the announcement on Friday that they will be introducing a new tiered membership starting next month on April 10. This new tiered membership system will be replacing their current premium membership that is in place. The tiered system will now be as follows:
Premium – $5.99/mo or $59.99/yr
- HD access to subbed anime
- HD access to English dubbed anime
- Access to current and past titles
- Two simultaneous users
Premium Plus – $7.99/mo or $79.99/yr
- Everything in Premium
- Download episodes to Android or iOS tablets and phones
- Access to special member-only events in local areas
- Benefits on the Funimation Shop
- Five simultaneous users
Premium Plus Ultra – $99.99/yr only (No monthly subscription)
- Everything from Premium and Premium Plus
- Annual gifts on your yearly anniversary
- Two free Pay-Per-View rentals per year
- Permanent free shipping on all orders from the Funimation Shop
Funimation did announce some exciting news for current premium subscribers. On April 9, the day before the launch, your subscription will be upgraded to Premium Plus; however, the price of $5.99 per month will stay the same. As a thank you for being part of their membership, Funimation will grandfather all current premium users into the premium plus tier without charging them the extra $2 per month. This deal is good for life with the only caveat being that you need to keep your subscription active. The moment your subscription is canceled, you will no longer be eligible to pay $5.99 for the $7.99 tier.
In addition to these changes, the Family & Friends and Power Up options will no longer be in effect as of April 10. If you have those add-ons already, you will no longer be charged for them once the new system launches.
For those who are on the free membership, nothing will change for you. It will continue as it is now.