Just announced by Degica Games is a new take on the Shmup formula. With Rival Megagun, players will be able to fight against either a co-op player or the CPU.
While Degica hasn’t said how exactly this happens, from the video I see that this is similar to competitive Tetris and Puyo Puyo. Here you’ll work on putting together attack chains, which will dump enemies onto the other player’s screen. There’s also something about being a mega gunship and being able to attack the other player, directly.
- Transform into a gigantic boss ship – your “Mega Gunship” – to invade your opponent’s screen
- Build up your chain and unleash devastating attacks
- Multiple heroes to choose from, each with their own set of special weapons and Mega Gunship form
- Intense 2-player local and online versus battles
- A single-player arcade mode
I idea is definitely an interesting one. Though, I don’t think I’ve ever wanted to toss a bomb or a squad of enemies at my co-op partner. At least not in a Shmup. We’ll have to wait and see how this plays out.
Rival Megagun will be shown off at the upcoming 2018 Toyko Sandbox (April 14-15) and the 2018 Bit Summit (May 12-13). The title will be released on the PS4, Xbox One, PC, and Switch.