Hacktag, an upcoming cooperative stealth game that will let gamers play as a hacker or field agent, will be heading to Steam Early Access on May 18th. Developer Piece of Cake Studios will also be conducting a closed beta that will give players a free preview of the early access version, which is scheduled for Thursday, May 11th.
From the official press release:
Hacktag enters Steam Early Access in May
Paris, France – April 21, 20 17 – Get ready to sneak in, sneak out, and sneak off with friends as independent videogame developer Piece of Cake Studios is thrilled to announce that its award winning title, Hacktag, a 2-player infiltration stealth game with asymmetric co-operative gameplay, will be available through Steam Early Access on May 18th, 2017. Additionally, Piece of Cake is planning a closed beta scheduled for Thursday May 11 to give fans a free preview of the early access version. Registration is already open and players are invited to sign-up here.
Hacktag has already won multiple industry awards for its promising and original gameplay. It’s a 2-player cooperative experience, available in both split screen and online mode, in which one person taking on the role of a hacker while the other is the field agent. Stealth is key for both players as they work together to successfully complete industrial espionage missions. With each objective, Hacktag wants to ensure players feel like the heroes from all the best and greatest heist movies.
The game showed great promise when we previewed it at PAX East 2017, and we’re looking forward to seeing how the final product is shaping up. The full version will include the following features:
- Online and local multiplayer: Play separately or share the same screen.
- “Co-operative” gameplay: As mercenaries, your partner is also your best competitor!
- Original co-op mechanics and mini-games: Alarms, locked doors or jails…
- Procedural generation: 3 corporations, 3 types of missions and an infinity of levels.
- Experience and unlockable skills: Gain levels and choose new active or passive skills.
- Character creation: Customize your character with unlockable content.
- Online challenges, rankings and leaderboards: Share your scores and defy your friends.
- Unique story for each player: Experience Hacktag’s story with your own NPCs.
Hacktag is set in a parallel world in the year 2029, and puts players in the role of mercenaries hired by corporations who are vying for domination. The mercenaries are sent on espionage missions that require the teamwork of a stealth agent, who physically sneaks around levels, and a hacker, who works through a virtual network to affect things like door locks, cameras, phones, and even coffee machines. As the two agents work together to obtain data from various targets around the levels, the field agent must avoid guards while the hacker dodges net security traveling through the data lines.