A few days ago, WayForward announced that they were going to be working on another game in the River City series (Kunio-Kun). River City Girls is the next game it’s being developed for PS4, Xbox One, Switch, and PC.
River City Girls introduces two new characters; Kyoko and Misako. Two completely new characters who know how to handle their self on the mean streets. Apparently, they’re not too thrilled that someone kidnapped their boyfriends, Kunio and Riki, the original characters from River City Ransom. So what’s a girl to do? Well, get back their man as they battle through six stages of chaos.
According to WayForward, the duo will have access to a multitude of weapons, combos and the game will feature plenty of side quests to keep you busy. There’s even going to be some guest appearances from characters from other River City games to help you on your way. Punch, kick, grab, throw and whatever else you need to do to get kick some butt. Sounds like I’ll be busy later this year.
For those wondering if WayForward has any experience working on a beat em’ up title. Don’t forget that they did work on Double Dragon Neon a few years back. Sure, it was a bit goofy but damned if the music wasn’t catchy and the combat system was deep and enjoyable. I expect the same to be true for River City Girls. Also, is it wrong that this sorta reminds me of another brawler? Specifically, Scott Pilgrim vs. the World: The Game?
River City Girls releases on September 6, 2019, for the PS4, Xbox One, Switch, and PC.
- Furious beat-’em-up action for one or two players!
- Stunning pixel-art graphics plus anime and manga cutscenes!
- Fantastic soundtrack featuring NateWantsToBattle, Chipzel, Christina Vee, and Megan McDuffee!
- Six large city regions to fight through, complete with shops and side quests!
- Loads of weapons, items, and abilities to power-up your heroines!
- Guest appearances by classic River City characters!