Ever since the release of MLB the Show 18, players on both The Show Nation and MLB the Show’s subreddit have continuously made complaints about offensive play at the plate. The majority of these complaints came from the fact that the Plate Coverage Indicator (PCI) needed massive adjustments to make it fair in online play modes. Sony San Diego sought to fix these issues with today’s 1.10 patch to MLB the Show 18:
- Adjustments made to the range of PCI movement outside of the strike zone on all difficulties beyond Rookie. Veteran is allowed 1.5 inches. All Star, Hall of Fame, and Legend is allowed 3 inches.
- Notes: We noticed some hit-type issues with balls low in the zone, which is likely one of the driving factors of the current pitching meta. Players will able to extend their PCI below the zone allowing them to generate new hit types (eg: line drives, fly balls, etc…) Extending the range will also allow for better delineation of player skill with pitches just outside of the zone. See the examples below:
- n two-player games, hit types will more closely match PCI input (after timing, attributes and all other factors are involved). Single-player is unaffected.
- Notes: This is a slight reduction of simulation aspects that we mentioned earlier that could have pushed a hit type up or down two categories based on the hitters fly-ball or ground-ball tendencies. To clarify, we haven’t completely removed those tendencies, but they have been reduced to better match the results of your inputs. Remember, there are a lot variables that go into every hit ball.
- Slightly smaller PCI coverage, affecting weak hits and tip fouls. Does not affect solid region of the PCI. This change affects all modes.
- Notes: We made this change in response to not only the feedback we’ve been hearing but also in response to the current meta and our own data analysis. The change will inevitably induce more swing-and-misses especially for low vision/contact hitters. Remember that the PCI does not represent the barrel of the bat.
Quality of Life changes have been made as well, mostly in Battle Royale and Diamond Dynasty:
- Users will no longer be penalized for quickly re-entering the pause menu in BR games.
- Users will now be prompted to pinch hit in BR when a pitcher steps up to the plate.
- Created Players in Diamond Dynasty will now accurately show stats above 99 while in game. Note: equipment bonuses will not display in the front end DD menus.
- Fixed certain stats within the Universal Profile that were showing incorrect values (Offensive: H, R, HR, SB. Defensive: H, ER, K, HR, BB). Users may see these stats have reset, but will now record correctly.
Reactions to this new patch seem to be overwhelmingly positive since the patch went live today: