Miitomo, one of Nintendo’s first steps into the massive world of mobile gaming, will be shut down as of May 9, 2018.
In a nutshell, Nintendo will be ceasing all operations that the phone app depends on. So while the company can’t force you to remove the app from your phone. They can remove everything that the app connects to, rendering it useless.
This comes a little over two years since the quirky application was released. Not really a game, but more of a social experiment. Miitomo had you answer odd questions, interacting with friends, doing dress-ups and other activities. Honestly, I tried it out for a week and dropped it. The fact that it also killed my then phone battery a lot faster was also a big factor to stop opening the application.
But who says Nintendo isn’t without a sense of humor. Sure, Miitomo is closing down. But if you still are one of the few that still use the application, Nintendo has you covered. Well, until they shut it down. They’ll be holding a “Miitomo” Final Thank You Festival“, which consists of a daily login bonus, an event that lets you tweet your memories and a “share your Miitomo memories” event in Answer Central. If you think about it, it seems a bit cruel, especially that daily login bonus. Once the service is shut down, you won’t be able to access anything, so why even do that?
And when we say this is the end of Miitomo, we mean it’s the end. Once the service stops, you won’t be able to access any facet of the service.
- If you launch the app after the end of service on 5/9, you’ll see a message informing you that service has ended. You will no longer be able to use any of the app’s features.
- You will no longer be able to see your answers or messages in the app.
- You will no longer be able to use items you’ve obtained in the app, such as clothing items, wallpapers, or posters.
- You can transfer your Mii™ character to your Nintendo Account by linking it to Miitomo. (Its personality and other information will not be carried over.)
- Sidekick Mii characters will be deleted. You can keep Sidekick Mii characters by saving them as a QR Code® before the end of service on 5/9/2018 12:00 AM (PDT). They can then be transferred to Mii Maker on the Nintendo 3DS™ family of systems or the Wii U™ console.
- You will not be able to view Miifotos, including Miifotos you have shared to your social media channels. If you want to save any Miifotos, you must save them to your smart device before 5/9/2018 12:00 AM (PDT).
- Miitomo- themed icons and clothing items used in your Nintendo Account or the Super Mario Run™ game will not display after the service has ended.