System software update 5.00, the latest major software update, is now available for PS4 users. We saw the update’s most notable features during the beta phase, namely the new family settings. The system now lets you add users to your family and set multiple parent accounts. Configure parental controls to limit online interactions, restrict game access, and set spending limits on the PlayStation Store.
For a major update, 5.00 doesn’t add any groundbreaking features. However, there are some new conveniences like custom friends lists and the ability to disable notifications during video playback. The key features are detailed below in the patch notes.
Main features in version 5.00 update
- You can configure parental control settings for each child. Using parental controls, you can restrict use of online features and communication with other players, set restrictions for games, restrict use of the Internet browser, and set spending limits for PlayStation Store.
- You can now follow anyone, not just verified accounts. You automatically follow your Friends, but you have the option to unfollow them.
- You can now choose who can follow you and who can see your follow list.
- (Custom Lists) has been added to (Friends). Create custom lists to easily organize your Friends and choose players to send messages or game invitations to.
- You can now receive music that has been shared with you as a message. Select the message to play the music.
- You can now disable pop-up notifications during video playback.
- You can now choose the color of pop-up notifications.
- You can now choose to broadcast in 1080p (60 fps) when using Twitch on your PlayStation 4 Pro.
- You can now enjoy Blu-ray Disc™ and DVD content in virtual surround sound when you connect headphones to PlayStation VR.