When THQ had released Darksiders 1, it wasn’t a sure thing that we’d get a sequel. Of course, that sequel finally did happen but Darksiders 2 didn’t do as well as the first title, so once again the sequel talks were pretty much that, talks. Then THQ goes out of business and their properties got sold off, which didn’t help matters any.
Except, that doesn’t be the case actually. Thanks to a leak that was first reported by Gematsu, it looks like we’re going to get a Darksiders 3 after all. According to a listing on Amazon, Darksiders 3 will see a release on PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC, sometime during 2018. Not really sure if Amazon dropped the ball here or if this was a “stealth announcement” to drum up some excitement. Because if it was, well, it accomplished that and then some.
THQ Nordic will be releasing the game as they own the rights to the franchise and the development will be handled by Gunfire Games, the same team that worked on the Darksiders 2: Deathinitive Edition remaster. This new follow-up will feature a new member of the Four Horsemen; Fury. A female protagonist who This new follow-up will feature a new member of the Four Horsemen; Fury. A female protagonist who wields a bladed whip, which reminds me of Ivy’s weapon from Soul Calibur.
Yes, I’m glad to see they switched it up and no I have zero issues with it and neither should you. And get this, this time around we’re going to get to kick the crap out of the Seven Deadly Sins. I mean, if that doesn’t get you pumped, then I don’t know what will.
Here’s the listing on Amazon as it currently appears. No clue if Amazon will eventually pull this or not.
- Play as FURY – a mage who must rely on her whip and magic to restore the balance between good and evil on Earth!
- Harness FURY’s magic to unleash her various forms – each granting her access to new weapons, moves and traversal abilities
- Explore an open-ended, living, free-form game world in which FURY moves back and forth between environments to uncover secrets while advancing the story
- Defeat the Seven Deadly Sins and their servants who range from mystical creatures to degenerated beings
- Darksiders signature art style – expansive post-apocalyptic environments that take the player from the heights of heaven to the depths of hell, dilapidated by war and decay and overrun by nature
Great freaking news and I hope that we’ll get more information regarding the title at E3 2017.
Editor’s comments: I’m pretty excited about this, especially since I enjoyed the first two Darksiders titles. And yes, I was a bit disappointed when THQ announced that Darksiders 2 didn’t do as well as they expected. Then when THQ got sold off, I figured it was over, but here we are. With a female hero at the helm, who looks just as badass as the previous ones, War and Death.