Playstation 4’s latest software update 4.50 was made available for download today and includes a variety of new features. During its closed beta, we learned the update would bring the long-awaited support of extended storage. Games can be transferred from the PS4 to the external drive and played directly from the drive, and installation is made simple. Additionally, the update allows players to create custom wallpapers from in-game screenshots. Put games with a photo mode to good use!
For PS4 Pro users, update 4.50 adds a “Boost Mode”. Boost Mode improves framerate for games that have yet to be patched to take advantage of the Pro’s increase in power. The official Playstation blog notes it will not improve all titles, but it can easily be enabled/disabled.
In addition, update 4.50 makes adjustments to the quick menu, adds voice chat support on remote play for new devices, improves PS VR resolution, and more. You can read some of the patch notes below.
Main features in version 4.50 update
- You can now use a USB storage device to install applications or move applications from your PS4’s system storage. The following USB storage devices can be used. Select(Settings) > [Devices] > [USB Storage Devices], select the connected USB storage device, and then format it for use as extended storage.* External hard disk drive
- – USB 3.0 or later / 250 GB minimum, 8 TB maximum capacity
- The quick menu is now more user-friendly. Creating, joining, and other party features are even easier to access
- When using Remote Play on a Windows® PC, Mac, Xperia™ Smartphone, or Xperia™ Tablet, you can now use your device’s microphone for voice chat in games or in parties.
- You can now use screenshots to customize the background of your home screen and function screen. Select(Settings) > [Themes] > [Select Theme] > [Custom].
- You can now post screenshots directly to activities, such as those shown in [What’s New]. Press the SHARE button, select [Screenshot], and then select [Activities] as the upload destination.Also, you can now tag games and fellow players.
- You can now post animated GIFs to activities and social applications.
- Your status is now visible as (Mobile) when you sign into an application such as (PlayStation App), even when you are away from your PS4 system. This means you are available to communicate with Friends.
- PlayStation VR now supports Blu-ray 3D™ content