Update: More information has been released about this title. The article has been updated to reflect this.
An HD remaster for Final Fantasy XII is on its way to PS4.
Long rumored (and much desired), the classic PS2 RPG is finally coming to current-gen systems. Titled Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age, the announcement was made on Square Enix’s Japanese Youtube channel earlier today (and has since been released on the NA channel) in the form of a teaser trailer, which you can view below. An official site was also put up, and the game is confirmed to be present at Square Enix’s E3 2016 booth.
Previously, Final Fantasy XII was the only main title in the franchise to solely be available on its original system. This version will be an HD Remaster of the International Zodiac Job System version, previously only available in Japan. This version is notable for introducing a job system to Final Fantasy XII, allowing players to have characters specialize as certain roles within the party. In addition to this, the new version for PS4 will have some additional features, including:
- Latest-generation high-definition graphical capabilities, including characters and movie scenes fully remastered in high-definition
- True 7.1 surround sound, including high-definition voicing and newly recorded background music utilizing the current generation of sound production
- Option to switch between the original and the newly remastered soundtrack
- New trial mode where players can take on monsters and enemies in up to 100 successive battles
- Modern gameplay advancements including PlayStation ® 4 system trophy support and share functionalities, auto-save and shortened loading times
- An endless amount of gameplay and adventure including hunts, battles, and mini-games
Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age is expected to release worldwide sometime in 2017.