Final Fantasy XV is a game that’s been a long time coming. Tonight, we finally received a release date, as well as a slew of other surprises during the “Uncovered: Final Fantasy XV” event. Here’s a list of all of the things they had to show and say:
- Hironobu Sakaguchi, the creator of Final Fantasy, was in attendance at the event. He spoke onstage about how Tabata assured him of the direction of the franchise, and that he was excited to see the newest unveiling.
- A new trailer was debuted, revealing the theme song to be a cover of “Stand By Me,” and showing Titan for the first time.
- Amano artwork was shown, with a 3D rendering played out.
- The cover of “Stand By Me” to be used as the theme song for the game is performed by Florence + The Machine.
- Gameplay was shown (with commentary by hosts Greg Miller and Tim Gettys) featuring different forms of travel, such as chocobos and car. The car will have a radio that plays classic Final Fantasy music. New and updated combat was also shown.
- A “World of Wonder” trailer was shown, displaying footage of the environments in the game.
- A 5-episode anime series called Brotherhood: Final Fantasy XV will release before the game is out, with episode 1 available now.
- A full CG film called Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV will release before the game is out.
- Square Enix and Audi are partnering to create a single custom production of an Audi R8 that appears in Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV.
- Leading the cast of Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV is Lena Headey as Luna, Sean Bean as Regis, and Aaron Paul as new character Nyx.
- A minigame from Final Fantasy XV, called Justice Monsters Five, is coming to Android, iOS, and Windows 10.
- A new demo, called Platinum Demo: Final Fantasy XV, is out now.
- Two collector’s editions were revealed. The Deluxe Edition comes with a steelbook case, Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV on Blu Ray, and the game, as well as some bonus DLC. The Ultimate Collector’s Edition contains the above, as well as another steelbook case, a soundtrack, all episodes for Brotherhood: Final Fantasy XV on Blu Ray, a hardcover 192 page artbook, additional DLC, and a Play Arts Kai Noctis figure.
- The release date for the game is September 30, 2016.
- A final trailer was shown, revealing that the Regalia car can eventually fly.
After nearly 10 years, the game that was once Final Fantasy Versus XIII is releasing, and in a big way. You can watch the full event below. What do you think of all these announcements? Think the game will live up to its reputation? Let us know in the comments.
Final Fantasy XV will finally be released on September 30, 2016.