The rumors were true! Well, partially! We aren’t getting a Marvel vs Capcom 4, instead, we’re getting an entirely new game called Marvel vs Capcom Infinite. Sadly, it does appear that we won’t see any X-men characters per the rumors suggested. Yet we were treated to a new entry in the Versus series, Captain “Don’t call her Mrs” Marvel from Marvel Comics.
Expect to see and hear more news during Capcom Cup 2016, which is taking place this very same weekend.
Update: Also announced is a port of Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3, which is now live on PlayStation Store now. Or is supposed to be, I’m not seeing it yet.
Update 2: We heard that fan screaming “Fuck Xbox”. Thanks to the official trailer, it has been confirmed that Marvel vs Capcom Infinite is coming to PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC (Steam).
Update 3: More news regarding Marvel vs Capcom Infinite released on the PlayStation Blog.
- Reborn Rivalries: Universes collide once again in this all-new crossover clash for the ages, where players select their favorite Marvel and Capcom characters and engage in accessible and action-packed 2v2 partner battles.
- Infinite Power: Pulled from classic Marvel lore, unique and game-changing Infinity Stones can be implemented into players’ strategies as a way to influence the outcome of battle. Each Infinity Stone provides a unique advantage to the player and represents a different aspect of the universe: power, space, time, reality, soul, and mind.
- Iconic Heroes: Choose from a diverse roster of fan favorite characters pulled from Marvel and Capcom universes, including Iron Man and Captain America from the Marvel side, and Ryu and Mega Man X from Capcom. Many more playable characters will be revealed in the future.
- Cinematic Story: Heroes and villains battle for supremacy in a timeless struggle set in the Marvel and Capcom universes. The original storyline answers the questions regarding the new clash and lets players step into the shoes of classic characters from both sides as they wage war against powerful forces in an attempt to defeat a new villain.
- Accessible Single Player Content: In addition to the cinematic story experience, players can hone their skills in a variety of accessible single player modes, including Training, Mission and Arcade modes.
- Vast Multiplayer Features: Robust online modes and content including ranked and casual matches, global leaderboards, and online lobbies with spectator mode deepen the overall experience.
- Graphics: Unreal Engine 4 technology pushes the cinematic visuals and next-gen realism into a new era.
Update 4: Gameplay from Marvel vs Capcom Infinite that was played after the ending of the 2016 Capcom Cup. In it, we see Captain Marvel and Iron squaring off against Megaman X and Ryu. It looks decent thanks to the Unreal Engine 4, though very shiny and a departure from what we saw with UMVC3.